- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Crumble the beef into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Add onion and green pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 4-1/2 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring every 2 minutes; drain.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning and chili powder. Cover and microwave on high for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in rice.
- Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and let stand for 6-8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and microwave on high for another minute or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forGaucho Casserole
"I prepared this delicious casserole last night and we loved it. It is super simple (cooks entirely in the microwave) and is delicious. I used instant brown rice and pinto beans instead of kidney beans. Absolutely delicious. We will have this again. I highly recommend this recipe as a volunteer field editor for Taste of Home."
"Made this on the stove top instead of the microwave. Used black and pinto beans since that is what I had in the cupboard. Made it twice and the whole family loved it and asked for it again. They call it the homemade hamburger helper dish."
"This was a solid recipe that my husband and I liked. I did all steps in a skillet on the stove top."
"It was tasty, but I had to use more H2O and then had to bake it for 30 mins to allow the rice to cook. I also used pinto beans instead of kidney beans."
"Yes, I always substitute brown rice for instant or white rice in recipes. You just have to adjust for more liquid to cook the rice. I added some extra broth to cook the brown rice. It really doesn't need too much extra liquid. This is a yummy recipe, enjoy!"
"This is a quick and awesome dish. I make it in a skillet and it works out great. In addition to the cheese, I serve with tomatoes, black olives, sour cream and shredded lettuce for everyone to top as they like!"
"DELICIOUS!!! easy RECIPE--A DEFINITE "KEEPER!""
"We do not care for instant rice, so can long grain 'regular' rice be used in place of instant?"