Layered Italian Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Italian tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 2-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, parsley and oregano; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Drain the spaghetti.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the spaghetti, cheese mixture and remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 413 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1067mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 39g protein.
Mar 9, 2013
Looking forward to trying this ~~ soon!
Mar 24, 2012
My husband & I love this recipe! It takes a little time to prepare but is worth it. I sometimes use ricotta instead of cottage cheese or sometimes use some of both (which is how I make my lasagne).
Jan 5, 2011
This dish tastes just like lasagna but is much easier to prepare. I used a jarred sauce to speed up the process even more and used ricotta instead of cottage cheese. Very good!
Dec 28, 2010
This turned out really good. My boys usually don't eat cottage cheese, but did not even realize it was in this dish. I would definately make it again! Yum...
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.