Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-3/4 teaspoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and seasonings. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and cubed butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 15-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet, and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in heavy-duty foil. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 169 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 23, 2018
This is the best bread. Easy to make and tastes wonderful. It's a beautiful loaf of bread!
Jun 29, 2017
When I really want to wow guests, or just my family, I make this bread. It turns out wonderfully amazing every time. We love to dip it in olive oil with dipping spices. I also use half whole wheat flour and it works well with this bread.
Jan 12, 2017
Delicious!! I found this easy to make it went well with my homemade clam chowder.
Dec 26, 2016
Wonderful bread! I did leave out the dill, as I didn't feel it went with the other spices, but otherwise made exactly per recipe. A definite keeper in my yeast bread rotation!
Jan 7, 2015
Bread turned out good but I do not think I'm a fan of this combination of herbs in the bread.
Nov 18, 2014
this is the best and it looks amazing
Nov 18, 2013
This bread turned out wonderful! It looks like you slaved over it for hours and makes a wonderful presentation on the table! I brushed my hot loaf with butter and dusted it with parmesan cheese and a dash of garlic salt and parsley! Will be making again soon!
Jan 21, 2012
This bread was great. I left out the dill.
Dec 12, 2011
Easy and delicious!!
Oct 5, 2011
I loved this. It was easy, pretty and tasted delicious.