Rosemary Garlic Braid
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each.)
- 5 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh rosemary or 4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 9 to 9-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic heads, leaving root end intact. Place cut side up in a small baking dish. Brush with oil; sprinkle with rosemary.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10 minutes; squeeze softened garlic into a bowl. Add broth; lightly mash.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, water and 1/2 cup butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened.
- Beat in egg and garlic paste until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into three pieces; shape each into an 18-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Melt remaining butter; add garlic salt. Brush over bread. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 164 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 24, 2018
Great flavor, but 30 minutes to raise and 30 minutes to bake was not nearly enough.
Dec 27, 2017
People RAVE about this every time I make it! it is the best garlic bread and it's the only one I am allowed to make!!
Jul 4, 2015
Super delicious! I use ground rosemary when I can find it.
Apr 21, 2015
It's not in the oven yet and this is my first time making bread from scratch (I'm 21) so if it's bad I can only blame myself haha! It was so fun to make and such easy instructions. I'll be making this a lot more in the future!
Mar 14, 2014
Great recipe. My brother gave me Rosemary, which he had grown. I wasn't sure how to use it. I researched different sites & came across your site. This bread was wonderful! Family & friends enjoyed it. Thank you Taste of Home.
Nov 16, 2012
Wonderful! I've been making this bread for 7 years and it ALWAYS gets compliments!
Jan 4, 2010
Wonderful braid. I don't use quite as much garlic and it is still loved by my family.