Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk. Add 3/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, butter, cardamom, salt, 3 cups of flour and remaining warm milk; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down; divide into six pieces. Shape each piece into a 16-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch ends firmly and tuck under. Repeat with remaining three ropes on another baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush braids with milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 135 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 18, 2015
This was much more dense than I expected. Maybe it needs more yeast. I make bread often and this much flour usually takes more yeast.
Aug 18, 2013
Just like my Gramma used to make! I will be making this for Christmas & Easter just like Gramma did.