Dill Seed Braid
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the yogurt, onion, sugar, butter, egg, dill seed, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 128 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 23, 2016
What could I use that I might have on hand if I don't have yogurt?
Nov 23, 2010
I forgot to mention, my original recipe was not this one, but my original recipe is still packed from my last move. This is the almost the same, the only difference is that I add a tablespoon of dill weed as well as the dill seed. SUPERB!!!!
Nov 23, 2010
I have been making this recipe for the holidays for 26 years and have shared it with many people. It still gets rave reviews. It makes the house smell amazing. As a baker, it is by far the best recipe I have for bread. Try it...it will become a tradition for you as well.
Feb 2, 2010
This was very good and easy to make. Unfortunately the recipe makes one mistake...you must add some sugar (even 1 tsp) with the yeast in order for it to rise...I made this for friends and they were very impressed! A+
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.