Sesame Wheat Braids
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and oil; mix well. Stir in whole wheat flour; let stand until the mixture bubbles, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and water. Remove 2 tablespoons to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Add remaining egg mixture and salt to batter; mix until smooth. Add 4 cups all-purpose flour and beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into thirds.
- Shape each into a rope about 15 in. long. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch each end firmly and tuck under.
- Repeat, placing second braid on the same baking sheet. Brush braids with the reserved egg mixture; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Remove from baking sheet to cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 102 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 16, 2018
Absolutely delicious! My husband and I couldn't wait for it to cool and just tore pieces off! I will make this one of my go to bread recipes.
Dec 5, 2018
Halved this recipe and adapted to my Zojirushi BB PAC 20 bread machine. First time I braided bread. Turned out great and my family ate it in two days. Had to bake another this time with poppy seeds.
Oct 18, 2018
I make small alterations, walnut oil not canola and only 1 tablespoons of sugar. I have made this multiple times. It is very good.
Jan 5, 2015
I have been making this bread for several years. I can't believe I haven't submitted a review. This is a fantastic loaf of bread. The flavor and texture is so delicious. I actually made these for a baked good auction fundraiser and both loaves went for over $40.00. Well worth it!
Sep 24, 2014
Really nice looking bread. I use 1/4 cup honey instead of the sugar and then reduce the water to just two cups. I find the honey keeps the bread from drying out too fast. Sometimes I use a "seven seed crust" topping instead of just sesame seeds.
Aug 20, 2013
I make this bread often. Sometimes instead of sesame seeds I top the bread with swedish pearl sugar (a special kind of sugar for baking that doesn't burn) and it turns out great that way too.
Oct 29, 2011
Used no white flour only Wheat, Used 1/2 cup less Flour and 1/3 cup more oil.Turned out great.
Feb 5, 2011
I also clipped this recipe from CW, July 1995. The card is so tattered and stained, I thought I better reprint it. I make this at least 3 times a month and its turned out everytime. My daughter got a grand champion ribbon at our county fair using this recipe, as did her friend in another county. Be sure to toast some for breakfast, too!
May 23, 2010
I've made this recipe twice already, and will definitely be making it again. It's so easy and so good.
Jan 4, 2010
Excellent, tender braid. I make it all the time.