Norwegian Cardamom Bread Braids
This treasured recipe reflects my Norwegian heritage. The subtle hint of cardanom is undeniably good. —Sally Nelson, Tempe, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes4 loaves (10 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, sugar, butter, 2 eggs, cardamom, salt and 6 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into fourths. Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a 12-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 164 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cardamom Braids in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001