Delicious Almond Braids
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 braids (6 slices each)
- 1 package (7 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place the almond paste, butter and sugar in a food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add egg and flour; process until smooth.
- Place puff pastry sheets onto a greased baking sheet. Spread half of the filling mixture down the center third of 1 pastry sheet. On each side, cut 8 strips about 3-1/2 in. into the center. Starting at 1 end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and almond extract. Drizzle over braids; sprinkle with almonds. Cut into slices to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 430 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 26, 2017
any suggestions to lighten this up.. calories and carbs suggest this isa full meal for a pre-diabetic diet which is generally between 50-60 carbs
Dec 7, 2016
I have made several batches and the filling keeps creeping out from some where. I used the hard almond paste. Had a hard time getting it all mixed in without lumps. I baked them for a little over the 30 min, because one looked like it was still dough in the center.Personally, I think it's to much butter.
Oct 14, 2015
This was a huge hit! Everyone loved it, thought it was bought from a special bakery! And the best part was it is so easy to make!
Jan 28, 2014
This was the first time I have worked with puff pastry and I found it so fun and easy to use. This recipe was a hit, so I made it again the same week! I love almond and my family does as well. The second time I made it I used apple pie filling in the middle and glazed it. That was also a hit, but I think my favorite was the almond! Made it for Christmas, but it is so easy that I know I will make it anytime of year!