Almond Pastry Puffs
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 pastries (11 servings each)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour and salt; cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons cold water; stir with a fork until blended. Shape dough into a ball; divide in half. Place dough 3 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet; pat each into a 12-in. x 3-in. rectangle.
- In a large saucepan, bring remaining butter and water to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in extract and remaining flour until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Spread over rectangles. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until topping is lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, water and extract; beat until smooth. Spread over pastries; sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 189 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 25, 2019
I followed the directions for the bottom and middle layers and made them into rounds. it was easy. The top I substituted almond butter (that had a lot of sugar in it) with enough water added to make it spread easily. The texture was okay. The flavor was nil, very bland. I sprinkled a little maple syrup on it, then a little salt, then a little sugar. Maybe I'll try it again with the exact topping recipe and see if it's better.
Apr 27, 2016
Love this recipe.... something just a little bit different to serve with coffee to my Bible Study group... got rave reviews.... very simple to make... delicious
May 31, 2014
Very light and flaky! I used half whole wheat pastry flour in this recipe and you cannot even tell. This recipe had the right amount of almond extract.
Apr 26, 2014
Hope I did the second step correctly ... After bringing the water & butter to boil, remove from heat, add flour & extract, etc -Then REMOVE FROM HEAT?? When did I put back on the stove?? What temp?? For how long?? Help
Jan 27, 2013
We live at 7500 ft - recipe turned out perfect without any alterations except less baking time. I used all organic ingredients. My family loved the texture and taste.
Feb 21, 2012
I've been making this wonderful recipe for years which I think may have originated in WI. I always vary what I put in between layers, but most times I choose red raspberry or black raspberry preserves. I can't think of a reason why things like lemon curd might not work well too.
Feb 2, 2012
My puff didn't turn out like the picture, but I'll try it again. My "puff" layer was very dense, so next time I'll transfer the "flour ball" into my kitchen aid before beating in the eggs to get more air. I'm also thinking that half cream cheese in place of the butter might be interesting as well as some lemon flavor. I'd also like to try small pastry rounds instead of the 12" rectangles to make them easier to handle and serve.
Dec 11, 2010
Obviously I did something wrong because the top layer was very runny and came out looking flat. I re-read the recipe and can't figure out what went wrong.
Dec 5, 2010
This is one of the most delicious/unique pastriesI have ever had. I have been looking for this recipe forever! I 1st made it over 34 years ago, then stopped baking so much & somehow misplaced it; been looking for it10 years.
Nov 16, 2008
This is absolutely wonderful! I had this at a hotel in Green Bay and have been searching for the recipe. When I tasted this I knew this was the exact recipe from the hotel! I will make this frequently! My family loves it!!