Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a bowl, combine squash, milk, butter, egg, brown sugar and salt; mix well. Add yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide into thirds; roll each third into a 18-in. rope. Place on a greased baking sheet. Braid ropes together; pinch ends. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 140 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 8, 2015
Used the dough to make rolls... everyone enjoyed them.
Nov 29, 2014
It is easy to make. The texture is lovely. The flavor is okay. However, it is not super spectacular in the way of homemade bread.
Dec 23, 2013
My sister gave me a very large butternut squash, and this is one of the new recipes I tried. I love baking bread, and this one is definitely a keeper: light, fluffy, and absolutely delicious!
Jul 3, 2013
I had yellow squash on hand so I made with that squash.The taste is great but for that squah i needed to add more flour ,I will make it ahanyellow squash
Dec 3, 2011
This was very good bread. I especially enjoyed it warm with butter. It is really quite a pretty bread with it's bright yellow color. It does tend to dry out after a day...
Oct 16, 2011
I made the dough in my bread machine and it came out so tender and delicious! Even people who don't like squash liked it.
Mar 27, 2008
My family and I love this moist tender bread.We usaully substitute canned yams for squash. Squash bread is a Thanksgivingmust for us.