Pineapple Cheese Braid
Folks are always pleasantly surprised by this bread's pineapple filling. When in a hurry, I'll use canned pie filling.—Shirley Kensinger, Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- PINEAPPLE FILLING:
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ICING (optional):
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- For pineapple filling, combine the pineapple filling ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until thickened. Cool. In a bowl, combine cream cheese filling ingredients; mix well.
- Punch dough down. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 15x9-in. rectangle. Place on greased baking sheets. Spread the cream cheese filling lengthwise down center third of each rectangle. Spread the pineapple filling on top.
- On each long side, cut 1-in. wide strips 3 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternately strips at an angle across filling. Seal ends. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. If desired, combine icing ingredients and drizzle over braids. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 185 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Pineapple Cheese Braid in Country Woman March/April 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.