Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablepoon water
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat milk, sugar, butter and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat on low speed with electric mixture for 30 seconds; increase speed to medium and continue beating for 3 minutes. Stir in raisins, candied fruit, nuts an enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Divide dough in thirds, then divide each into thirds again. Roll each piece into a 15-in. rope. Place 3 ropes 1 in. apart on greased baking sheet. Begin braiding loosely in the middle and work toward the ends. Pinch ends together and tuck under. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-40 minutes. Combine egg yolk and water; brush over braids. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 175 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 30, 2012
Heading south to show my friend how to make this loaf. I gave her one over Christmas and they just loved it! I did increase the amount of fruit ....
Dec 24, 2011
At my daughters for Christmas and forgot to bring my usual Christmas-Braid receipe. Found this one and it's so easy to make with excellent results. Surprised that it makes three loaves which is great to take to friends.
Dec 7, 2011
I made this to-day ,, was easy and very good, Nice that it makes three, make's nice gifts ,,
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.