Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf. (32 servings)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Shape each into an 18-in. rope. Place ropes side by side on a greased baking sheet. Beginning at one end, braid dough by placing the first rope over the second rope, under the third and over the fourth. Repeat three or four times, beginning each time from the same end. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk egg yolk with water; brush over braid. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 95 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
May 25, 2018
Easy to make and it's so much fun to braid. But the best part is eating it as cinnamon toast. YUM!
Mar 1, 2014
This has become one of my go-to recipes. It's fantastic to make for a company meal - very pretty and impressive looking. I sometimes just make the dough into three braids rather than four, because I find that easier to work with. I also will sometimes sprinkle something on top like sesame or poppy seeds.
Jan 21, 2013
This is a fantastic recipe. The texture is a little dense with great flavor. It is very easy to make as well. I actually forgot about it one time I made this recipe, and it became huge. I baked it and it came out very light and fluffy. I use it for any family gathering or casual dinner. I have also modified it and separated the dough into muffin tins. It makes about 24 dinner rolls - perfect consistency for butter.
Feb 12, 2011
Followed the recipe. Wonderful. Very light tasty bread.
Apr 6, 2010
I used 1/2 c. wheat flour and 3-1/2 cups bread flour. Turned out beautiful-made it for Ressurection Day dinner.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.