Cardamom Braid Bread
I came across this recipe in 1983 and have been making it for the holidays ever since. One year I gave away 20 loaves! —Rita Bergman, Olympia, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (20 slices each)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole milk, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, cardamom and salt. In a small saucepan, heat 1-1/2 cups milk, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Divide each portion into thirds. Shape each into a 14-in. rope. Place 3 ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with remaining milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 114 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cardamom Braid in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007