- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef base
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds), cut in half
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 loaves French bread (1 pound each), split and toasted
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Combine beef base and thyme; rub over roast and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaf and pepper; pour over roast. Add water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast to a cutting board; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving onion; skim fat from juices. Discard bay leaf. Thinly slice meat.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread mustard over bread. Top each bottom with three slices cheese; layer with beef, remaining cheese, mushrooms and reserved onion. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into four slices; serve with reserved juices. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFrench Dip au Jus
"We liked the flavors! The au jus was perfect right in the crock pot! We'll eat this again."
"For pete's sake, people. If you're that worried about sodium use low-sodium beef base, and in general increase the amount of potassium in your diet to balance out sodium intake..."
"My boyfriend and I absolutely loved this recipe! The only bad part was I had my wisdom teeth taken put yesterday so it was a little hard to eat.. But very juicy and tender meat! We used Hoagie rolls instead.. Delicious :)"
"If you make this with reduced-sodium beef base (found it on amazon) and low-sodium soy sauce you can save almost 600 mg. of sodium."
"Good Lord!!Look at the amount of sodium in one sandqitch...I don't care how good it is-it is certainly not healthy and really bad for anyone with high blood pressure."
"This is the only way I will ever make French Dips again, it's awesome. Thank you~"
"This recipe sounds absolutely delicious -- but 2200 mg of sodium???? That's more than an entire day's worth."
"My husband and I both agree, this is by far the best french dip we have ever eaten!!"
"very easy and delicious. A big hit with my entire family"