French Dip Sandwich with Onions
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours + standing
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 to 14 French rolls, split
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over onions.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, soup mix, browning sauce if desired and garlic; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast with a slotted spoon and let stand for 15 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place on roll bottoms; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Replace tops. Skim fat from cooking juices; strain and serve as a dipping sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich (calculated without browning sauce): 343 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1053mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 16, 2017
I made this as the recipe said. No changes. My family inhaled it! Just one question. How does anyone cut a crock potted roast into slices? My meat will not slice. It just falls apart. Pretty slices would be nice for a Graduation Party instead of my mangled pull apart roast. There's a trick to this. I know there is.
Apr 17, 2014
Couldn't stop taste testing these, so we got less than the recommended number of servings. Will be freezing the leftover "dip" for future use in other dishes. Really delicious and easy to make. Be sure to use a hearty bread to soak up all the good flavors.
Aug 9, 2012
My family loves these! I only use half a packet of soup mix to cut the sodium, but they are great without it. We like to eat these on Hoagie Buns from the Bakery.
Jul 28, 2012
A family favorite! Have been making for years. I put less soy sauce in, 1/3 cup. I butter and toast bread under broiler, add meat and cheese, then put back in oven to melt cheese. They are just as good the next day for lunch.
Apr 7, 2012
This has been a family favorite for years! I like to toast buttered French rolls under the broiler before putting the cheese and meat on the bread. Then I return them to the oven to melt the cheese. I also use less soy sauce; 1/3 cup is plenty. YUMMY!
Oct 9, 2011
My family loves this recipe. I make it for them often. The au juice taste just like you get in the restaurant.
Jul 6, 2011
This is one of the best french dips I've ever tasted. We have a resturant in town that has been known for their french dip for over 40 years & my husband though this recipie was even better!! This is so simple to make too.
Jun 13, 2011
This is a recipe that is very easy. I have tried other recipes for French Dip, but this is by far the best.
May 3, 2011
This was good, but I found it didn't have all the robust flavor I was looking for. It could be because I used a pork roast instead. It was good, but not brag worthy.
Dec 5, 2010
I just made this today and received kudos all around. A definite keeper. I substituted sliced provolone for the shredded swiss.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.