Onion Beef au Jus
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown roast on all sides in oil; drain. In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Add the water, soy sauce, soup mix, garlic and, if desired, browning sauce. Pour over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Let meat stand for 10 minutes, then thinly slice. Return meat to pan juices. Split bread lengthwise; cut into 3-in. sections. Spread with remaining butter. Place on a baking sheet.
- Broil bread 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Top with beef and onions; sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with pan juices.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 422 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1179mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 9, 2019
These are the best beef sandwiches, no changes.
Nov 29, 2018
This becomes my favourate food so yummy https://jokiboy.blogspot.com
Feb 11, 2017
Family favorite for years!! Awesome as written!
Feb 6, 2017
Hi Vonoepen,I'm not sure ground beef would be appropriate for this recipe.
Feb 5, 2017
have not made this yet, what about also using ground beef and serving as appetizers?
Jan 2, 2015
This was awesome. I skipped the browning on all sides in oil. I cooked the roast in a crock pot for 8 hours.
Sep 6, 2013
This was a big hit with the family. It was super delicious and fairly easy. I made it exactly as written and everyone loved it. I served the roast on homemade French bread (from another Taste of Home recipe) and the sandwiches were amazing! Another bonus is that it makes a lot so you can have leftovers for lunch the next day!!
Feb 5, 2013
Dec 18, 2012
Loved by a Dad and 4 boys
Dec 8, 2012