French Dip au Jus
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef base
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds), cut in half
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 loaves French bread (1 pound each), split and toasted
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Combine beef base and thyme; rub over roast and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaf and pepper; pour over roast. Add water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast to a cutting board; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving onion; skim fat from juices. Discard bay leaf. Thinly slice meat.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread mustard over bread. Top each bottom with three slices cheese; layer with beef, remaining cheese, mushrooms and reserved onion. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into four slices; serve with reserved juices.
Editor's NoteLook for beef base near the broth and bouillon.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 1 cup juices: 694 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 1906mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 59g protein.
Nov 6, 2017
We liked the flavors! The au jus was perfect right in the crock pot! We'll eat this again.
Mar 22, 2015
Too easy not to try! Looking to reduce sodium in this recipe try using Kitchen basics very low sodium broth vs the base and decrease some of the water. Make sure to use crusty bread for the sandwich and it does pair well with swiss cheese.
Oct 27, 2014
For pete's sake, people. If you're that worried about sodium use low-sodium beef base, and in general increase the amount of potassium in your diet to balance out sodium intake...
Sep 2, 2011
My boyfriend and I absolutely loved this recipe! The only bad part was I had my wisdom teeth taken put yesterday so it was a little hard to eat.. But very juicy and tender meat! We used Hoagie rolls instead.. Delicious :)
Jul 7, 2011
If you make this with reduced-sodium beef base (found it on amazon) and low-sodium soy sauce you can save almost 600 mg. of sodium.
Jun 29, 2011
Good Lord!!Look at the amount of sodium in one sandqitch...I don't care how good it is-it is certainly not healthy and really bad for anyone with high blood pressure.
Jun 27, 2011
This is the only way I will ever make French Dips again, it's awesome. Thank you~
Jun 27, 2011
This recipe sounds absolutely delicious -- but 2200 mg of sodium???? That's more than an entire day's worth.
Feb 21, 2011
My husband and I both agree, this is by far the best french dip we have ever eaten!!
Nov 4, 2010
very easy and delicious. A big hit with my entire family
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.