Farmhouse Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 4-1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and red pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in flour and dressing mix until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, corn, ham and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in cheese until blended.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 267 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1288mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
May 24, 2017
Very tasty! The addition of the smoked gouda really made this dish so flavorful!
Apr 12, 2016
This is a great way to use up leftover ham. Serve this with a nice, crusty bread for a fast and delicious meal.
Apr 5, 2013
This recipe is easy and delicious, will definitely make it again and the grands loved it!
Nov 2, 2012
This is defiantly a comfort food! we sat around the fire place and talked of child hood memories.Chowder,home made bread and the fire place ablaze with family ...another good memory:)
Sep 16, 2010
I love this recipe and make it all the time! I love to make a double batch ahead of time when its cold and we go camping. It also freezes very well so its easy to send to friends and family when they are feeling a little under the weather! Definitely recommend trying this recipe!
Mar 17, 2009
Delicious and so easy! I am not a big cheese fan so I left that off with no loss of flavor. The soup also thickened up even more when reheated as the potatoes continued to break down. I'll definitely make this one again.