- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar and molasses. Stir in the beans, beef and bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until beans reach desired thickness. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFamily-Favorite Baked Beans
"It is a family favorite! We skip the ground beef and serve with smoked chicken off the grill. What a great dish. To give it just a little extra kick we add in two table spoons of spicy mustard. As a volunteer Taste of Home feild editor familly and friends expect great dishes from my kitchen, this delivers!"
"Hobo Beans....always a hit when feeding a crowd. I really like the addition of the molasses in this recipe. It was a hit at last weekends graduation party."
"Very good and simple to make. I reduced brown sugar to 2 tablespoons; I don't like the beans too sweet. When I tripled the recipe for a group, I used a variety of beans; they're all good. I make it in a slow-cooker rather than the oven."
"This is my Go-To recipe when I want to please a bunch of people. One woman who never eats baked beans said the smell of this dish made her mouth water. She tasted some and got another huge serving. This is a great recipe and I am very picky with baked beans. Just as a FYI, it thickens more the longer it sets. Very delicious. I have tried black beans, northern beans, navy beans and pinto beans. All taste excellent in this recipe."
"This recipe got rave reviews from family at 4th July BBQ. Decided it goes just as well with baked ham for Easter. Used Bush's original baked beans for the pork and beans and KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Made a double batch but didn't double the meat or molasses. Very yummy!"
"I absolutely love these beans and everyone I have served them to has asked for the recipe! Definitely a keeper and full of fiber on top of that as well!"
"This is delicious! My husband likes it, too. I'll be making it again."
"I have made this recipe for years. I own 2 restaurants and frequently use this for off site bbq events. The molasses make the recipe. I also add 2 tsp of dijon mustard. The combination of the two is great. For the person who thought that the ground beef may make the recipe too heavy, no way! Try it, you will not get ANY COMPLAINTS!"