Fajita-Style Shrimp and Grits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium sweet peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 jar (15-1/2 to 16 ounces) chunky medium salsa
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- Sprinkle shrimp with fajita seasoning; toss to coat. Set aside.
- Slowly stir grits into boiling water. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted; stir in milk. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir until tender and pepper edges are slightly charred. Add salsa, orange juice and shrimp. Cook, stirring constantly, until shrimp turn pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro. Remove from heat.
- Spoon grits into serving bowls; top with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Not sure which brand of pasta sauce to buy? Check out the brands our editors and the Taste of Home Test Kitchen recommend.https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/best-spaghetti-sauce/
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 561 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 1324mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Jan 25, 2020
Delicious! A keeper! I used a premade tube of polenta, but made the shrimp portion as written. Quick and easy! Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor
Aug 13, 2019
My whole family loved this recipe. It was great to see their eyes light up when the first tasted it. The fact that it is so simple to prepare means I will be making it often from now on. I made it twice in the same week. The only changes I made was adding garlic powder to the grits and using sharp cheddar cheese.
Feb 5, 2018
It was pretty good!
Nov 13, 2017
Definitely a keeper! We loved it, and is very easy!