I wanted to cook a ham but didn't have the ingredients for my usual glaze recipe, so I made substitutions. You can, too! Instead of black cherry, try another flavored soda, or use sweet-and-sour sauce in place of duck sauce. —Edith Griffith, Havre de Grace, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (8 to 10 pounds; not spiral cut)
- 1 can (12 ounces) black cherry soda
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 2/3 cup duck sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place ham on a rack in a baking pan or dish; pour soda over ham. Sprinkle with five-spice powder. Cover with aluminum foil; bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and discard. Baste with duck sauce; return to oven and bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 140°, about 2-1/2 hours, basting again halfway through baking.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked ham: 303 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 1659mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 45g protein.
Originally published as Epiphany Ham in Taste of Home December 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.