- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2-2/3 cups flour, garlic salt, paprika, 2-1/2 teaspoons pepper and poultry seasoning. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water; add salt and the remaining flour and pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in the bag, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken, several pieces at a time, for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and juices run clear. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCrispy Fried Chicken
"Sodium is way too high. 2 pieces has a day's worth. Sub granulated garlic for the garlic salt."
"Finally a fried chicken recipe with an egg wash. Love it! Makes the best coating...and who honestly keeps buttermilk in their fridge??? And I am a self admitted garlic salt junkie, so this is aces in my book!!!"
"Second time making and....oh my gosh the best fried chicken ever! My family asks for it every week an d recipe works very well with GF flour."
"This is the best fried chicken recipe I have ever tried."
"I really liked the batter. But I have to ask, what is the water for? I'm not a savvy chef and follow directions because I have to. I was expecting milk or something, but the egg and water was so runny. Otherwise, I thought it was really good."
"Excellent recipe. Added mashed potatoes and pan gravy for great Sunday meal."
"When I was a manager for KFC, we made Extra Krispy by "double-dipping". Floured (with the "secret recipe"), then dipped into the milk mixture, then floured again before deep frying."
"jeanemed, don't give up on the recipe. try it again, and this time stick to the recipe. do what it says."