Creamy Turnip Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add turnips, broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream, salt and nutmeg; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach; cook and stir just until wilted. Serve with soup.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 138 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Sep 21, 2014
If you don't like turnips, this might not be the soup for you. We, however, are turnip lovers and this soup was fantastic! I cooked it in the crock pot on high for 5 hours and it was great! My 9 and 10 year old practically licked their bowls clean and were happy to have leftovers. I was very happy we were blessed with a ton of turnips in our garden this year because this recipe will be used again and again!
Dec 28, 2011
It was a good recipe to make since we had an abundance of turnips this year but I would not go to the store to purchase the ingredients just to make the soup.
Nov 13, 2011
I saw the picture and decided to try something new (turnips.) It was awful. It had a strong, bitter aftertaste. I tried adding salt to counteract the bitterness but that only improved it slightly. We choked it down but I definitely would not make it again.
Nov 1, 2011
Fantastic! I ate a whole pot over a cold weekend kind of like potato soup
Oct 8, 2011
I love trying new soups, this was not a good one. I wouldn't waste your time. Sorry to the creator of the recipe! It just wasn't for me.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.