Pumpkin Bisque with Smoked Gouda
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional shredded Gouda cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Add cheese; stir until melted. Sprinkle each serving with parsley, bacon and, if desired, additional cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 214 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 970mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 10, 2018
Super delicious! I pureed my fresh pumpkin for a smooth texture. I left out the cream, and used ham instead of bacon. My picky children eaters loved it!
Nov 21, 2014
Next time I'm using half the cream and more cheese. Also, I'll try adding extra garlic!!
Sep 18, 2014
I thought this was really good, but I did omit the bacon and substituted olive oil for the bacon grease. The subtle smokiness of smoked Gouda really complemented the pumpkin flavor.
Jan 12, 2014
This has been past of our Thanksgiving tradition for 3 years now. The family loves it!
Nov 8, 2013
I too added a little something as there was not quite enough flavor. 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice. It was great.
Apr 25, 2013
I wish I'd had the smoked gouda. That's the only reason I gave this 4 stars. I had gorgonzola and liquid smoke. It's just not the same but still rich and creamy!
Dec 8, 2012
Delicious! I was looking for a "snooty soup" to bring to a party. It was a huge hit. Several asked for the recipe. I followed it pretty closely.
Oct 22, 2012
It had too much of a pumpkin flavor for me. I added more chicken broth and liked it better.
Oct 12, 2012
I didn't have bacon, so I substituted sage flavored sausage instead. This was excellent!
Dec 16, 2011
Made this for thanksgiving. Used Grocery store Smoked processed Gouda the only available where we were in Maine. Made again using a local Boston cheese shop Gouda. Invest in good smoked Gouda, well worth it. Served with apples as garnish.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.