Mushroom and Smoked Gouda Puff
It's so very easy, but it looks and tastes gourmet. Dinner party guests will be impressed with this perfect starter course. Serve with a spicy mustard for dipping if desired. —Christina Singer, Bellefontaine, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallot; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper.
- Unfold puff pastry. Spread mushroom mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, seam side down. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 210 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Medley w/ Gouda Log in Taste of Home December 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.