Mushroom and Smoked Gouda Puff
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallot; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper.
- Unfold puff pastry. Spread mushroom mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, seam side down. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 210 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 19, 2019
The taste is phenomenal. Since I put in more cheese than the recipe stated , it was messier to eat, but oh, so good. Will make this again with different types of cheeses. I also sauted onions before adding the mushrooms and that gave it another dimension for the taste.