Mushroom & Smoked Salmon Tarts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 tarts (6 servings each)
- 2 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
- 2/3 cup smoked salmon or lox
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8 large eggs, divided use
- 4 teaspoons drained capers, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill, optional, divided
- Unroll crusts into two 9-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms; trim edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line unpricked crusts with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottoms are golden brown, 2-4 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender and lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan. Add butter and mushrooms; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender, 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place tart pans on separate baking sheets. Divide onion and mushrooms between crusts; top with salmon and cheese. In a bowl, whisk 4 eggs, 2 teaspoons capers and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; if desired, stir in 1 teaspoon dill. Pour over 1 of the tarts. Repeat with remaining ingredients for second tart.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 239 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Apr 22, 2019
OMG- So good!!! I made this for a brunch and it was my favorite dish. I used a ceramic tart dish and it worked well. The dish has an irresistable smokey, salty, and rich taste. It is total comfort food. If you like salmon and feta, this is a must try!
Mar 2, 2019
Truly fantastic! Lots of bursting flavors!