Mushroom & Smoked Salmon Tarts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 tarts (6 servings each)
- 2 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
- 2/3 cup smoked salmon or lox
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8 large eggs, divided use
- 4 teaspoons drained capers, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill, optional, divided
- Unroll crusts into two 9-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms; trim edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line unpricked crusts with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottoms are golden brown, 2-4 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender and lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan. Add butter and mushrooms; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender, 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place tart pans on separate baking sheets. Divide onion and mushrooms between crusts; top with salmon and cheese. In a bowl, whisk 4 eggs, 2 teaspoons capers and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; if desired, stir in 1 teaspoon dill. Pour over 1 of the tarts. Repeat with remaining ingredients for second tart.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 239 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 22, 2019
OMG- So good!!! I made this for a brunch and it was my favorite dish. I used a ceramic tart dish and it worked well. The dish has an irresistable smokey, salty, and rich taste. It is total comfort food. If you like salmon and feta, this is a must try!
Mar 2, 2019
Truly fantastic! Lots of bursting flavors!