Golden Gouda Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Chives and smoked paprika
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, pepper and allspice until smooth; gradually add the broth, sherry and cream. Bring to a boil. Add mushrooms and garlic. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Garnish servings with chives and paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 412 calories, 33g fat (21g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1082mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 16, 2013
I love gouda cheese and soup but I did not particularly like the two together.
Mar 24, 2013
Pretty tasty. I used a cracked pepper smoked gouda (I'm a pepper Lover). I also doubled the mushrooms to make it even better.
Jan 31, 2013
This is a delicious soup. The ingredients can be tweaked and some substititutions made as desired by the kitchen-savvy cook. It is also good as a cream soup without the cheese.
Jan 5, 2013
Made this one about a week ago. Smoked Gouda is my favorite cheese so I added more. The sherry gave it a nice flavor. I added a variety of mushrooms.Overall fantastic!
Nov 16, 2012
Absolutely incredible! I don't know any other word that would properly describe how delicious this soup is! I made the recipe exactly as written, except at the end I pureed the soup because I don't like chewing bits of mushroom. My husband was crazy about it, he said "I could get addicted to this!"
Jan 17, 2012
I tried this recipe after eating something similar at a local soup restaurant. The flavor of this soup came really close to their recipe. I'm vegetarian so I substituted No-Chicken Broth. Very rich and filling!