Golden Gouda Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Chives and smoked paprika
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, pepper and allspice until smooth; gradually add the broth, sherry and cream. Bring to a boil. Add mushrooms and garlic. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Garnish servings with chives and paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 412 calories, 33g fat (21g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1082mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Nov 16, 2013
I love gouda cheese and soup but I did not particularly like the two together.
Mar 24, 2013
Pretty tasty. I used a cracked pepper smoked gouda (I'm a pepper Lover). I also doubled the mushrooms to make it even better.
Jan 31, 2013
This is a delicious soup. The ingredients can be tweaked and some substititutions made as desired by the kitchen-savvy cook. It is also good as a cream soup without the cheese.
Jan 5, 2013
Made this one about a week ago. Smoked Gouda is my favorite cheese so I added more. The sherry gave it a nice flavor. I added a variety of mushrooms.Overall fantastic!
Nov 16, 2012
Absolutely incredible! I don't know any other word that would properly describe how delicious this soup is! I made the recipe exactly as written, except at the end I pureed the soup because I don't like chewing bits of mushroom. My husband was crazy about it, he said "I could get addicted to this!"
Jan 17, 2012
I tried this recipe after eating something similar at a local soup restaurant. The flavor of this soup came really close to their recipe. I'm vegetarian so I substituted No-Chicken Broth. Very rich and filling!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.