Smoked Gouda & Swiss Chard Strata
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 10 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound Swiss chard, leaves chopped and stems julienned
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 12 slices white bread, toasted and cubed
- 2 cups smoked Gouda or smoked Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- 10 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Cook chard stems and onion in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add chard leaves and red pepper; cook 2 minutes. Drain.
- Lightly grease a 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half the bread cubes, half the vegetable mixture and half the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Mix remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour over layers; press down slightly. Sprinkle bacon over top. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Bake until puffy, lightly browned and set, about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 509 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 257mg cholesterol, 1055mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 13, 2016
Delicious! Toasting the bread gives it a good, not-too-soggy, texture and I loved the flavor combination of smoked cheese and bacon.
Oct 30, 2016
Strata is a great dish on a cold night! We substituted kale for Swiss chard. The smoked cheese and bacon give great flavor and smell wonderful coming out of the oven!