Creamy Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6-8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 5 bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- Dissolve bouillon in water; set aside. In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain; crumble and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in the drippings until tender. Add flour; cook and stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and dissolved bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add corn and seasonings. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 233 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 22, 2017
My family loves this version. It's light and satisfying. I add a small dash of red pepper flakes for a small kick.
Oct 24, 2012
This soup is really good. I have made it many times and it never fails to satisfy. I'm with the previous reviewer-put in extra bacon.
Dec 22, 2010
Wow this is good stuff. I like the addition of the green peppers. I just added all my cooked bacon to the finished pot and stirred it in.