Creamy Red Pepper Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pears in juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: Chopped chives, heavy cream and croutons
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the potatoes, red peppers and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Add pears; let cool.
- Using a blender, puree soup in batches. Return to the pan. Stir in cayenne and black pepper. Cook until heated through. If desired, serve with chopped chives, heavy cream and croutons.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 127 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 5, 2018
excellent, easy to halve. used home roasted peppers, some green, by weight freezes well
Dec 10, 2010
This is a fabulous recipe, and has become a Christmas tradition for our family. Bursting with goo wholesome flavor. The pears balance out the onion and garlic nicely.
Mar 2, 2009
Excellent soup. Made it several times and a winner each time.