Red Pepper Bruschetta
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, halved and seeded
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 French bread baguette (about 12 ounces)
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool.
- Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 10 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Coarsely chop peppers. Cut top off garlic head, leaving root end intact. Squeeze softened garlic from bulb and finely chop.
- In a bowl, combine the parsley, basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining oil. Add peppers and garlic; mix well. Cut bread into 16 slices, 1/2 in. thick; broil until lightly toasted. Top with pepper mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 slice: 161 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 29, 2014
LOVE the roasted pepper twist in this version. Roasting the garlic and peppers takes a little more time but is an absolute must and worth it step! The roasted flavors make all the difference. I like doing this side by side with a traditional bruschetta that way my company that aren't big tomatoes fans can enjoy a tasty treat too.
Nov 11, 2012
Loved it! Made as-is per recipe. Thought that garlic may have been too overpowering, but it ended up being perfect! I did mix all in advance and the flavors sat and melded while I was preparing the rest of the meal.
Jan 13, 2011
I added a little more pepper, as well as some red pepper flakes and balsamic vinegar. Super delicious!