Swiss Cherry Bruschetta
This recipe is a spin-off a cherry chicken main dish my husband adores. The combination of sweet, tart and salty flavors provides a contrast that's hard to resist. —Shelley Platten, Amherst, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2-1/2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries, coarsely chopped
- 16 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick), lightly toasted
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the vinegar, brown sugar and garlic salt; reduce heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Stir in the cherries; cook 5 minutes longer or until sauce is syrupy.
- Place toasted bread on a baking sheet; spoon cherry mixture evenly over toast. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 115 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Cherry Bruschetta in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.