Swiss Cherry Bruschetta
This recipe is a spin-off a cherry chicken main dish my husband adores. The combination of sweet, tart and salty flavors provides a contrast that's hard to resist. —Shelley Platten, Amherst, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2-1/2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries, coarsely chopped
- 16 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick), lightly toasted
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the vinegar, brown sugar and garlic salt; reduce heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Stir in the cherries; cook 5 minutes longer or until sauce is syrupy.
- Place toasted bread on a baking sheet; spoon cherry mixture evenly over toast. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 115 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.