Creamy Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 3 pounds potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and cubed
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding cream cheese, sour cream and butter. Stir in milk and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese, green onions and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove potatoes from refrigerator and let stand while oven heats. Bake, covered, about 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 419 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Mar 23, 2019
You can also use this recipe to make twice baked potatoes except bake the potatoes scoop out and reuse the skins.
Nov 10, 2018
Greatest mashed potatoes. Made a double batch for a potluck dinner. Had to disappoint my son when there were none left. Of course I made another batch for him the next night.
Oct 20, 2018
Best mashed potatoes ever--nothing more to say.
Dec 2, 2017
I also made this for our Thanksgiving crowd and everybody loved it!!! I'll probably make this for our Christmas crowd as well. I love that I can make it ahead of time and it's ready to go in the oven when I need it. Really, really good!
Nov 26, 2017
I made this for Thanksgiving & it was a big hit!!! I don't have a dutch oven so I boiled the potatoes on the stove top. I also stirred in some of the shredded chedder cheese. Everyone loved it!! I will make this again!!!!
Nov 23, 2017
OUTSTANDING! My husband said he never wants to have any other kind of mashed potatoes again. They were a huge hit at Thanksgiving.
Jul 18, 2017
I made these mashed potatoes to be one of many sides at a huge bbq I was throwing last weekend. These were on of the first sides to go! I will definitely make these again. Cheese, bacon and potatoes....there is nothing to dislike here!
Apr 5, 2017
What is not to love in this recipe? Potatoes, bacon, cheese...mmmm good! Great dish to make for a crowd. I made it for a catering job and they were scrapping the pan clean!
Mar 16, 2017
Good very flavorful
Mar 14, 2017
Oh my goodness. These are the best potatoes ever. This is definitely a keeper!