Creamy Chive Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes with the cream cheese, butter, chives, pepper and remaining salt; gradually beat in enough buttermilk to achieve desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 249 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 27, 2017
This is some of the best mashed potatoes I've ever tasted and I've had a lot!!
Mar 27, 2011
This is my recipe, and I agree with a previous commenter. When I developed the recipe, I grew my own garlic chives with a strong flavor. I've discovered the fresh chives sole in the store don't have the same garlicky taste, so if I don't have garlic chives on hand, I add a little garlic powder to taste.
Aug 3, 2010
I love these potatoes. My mom made them for our family growing up and now I get to make them for my own family. They are always a hit!
Apr 12, 2010
I felt it was a little bland, so the next time I make it, I will add minced onions, garlic powder & more butter. It's probably due to the Hungarian in me. And I agree with maryclyde, it is a keeper ,
Sep 25, 2008
I made this wonderful dish for company last night. I used red potatoes since that was all I had. These are the best tasting potatoes you will ever eat. My guests raved about them. I'll never go back to the standard mashed potatoes! Delicious!!