Make-Ahead Creamy Potatoes
For the holidays, I usually serve the traditional foods with a new spin or two on family favorites. I put together these creamy potatoes the night before and simply bake the day of to save precious holiday time. —Wendy Ball, Battle Creek, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 55 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 6 large)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk or half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place whole potatoes in a large stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in milk, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Peel and cube potatoes when cool enough to handle. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a large bowl; stir in cheddar cheese, sour cream, mushroom mixture, onion and remaining butter. Transfer potato mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove potatoes from refrigerator; uncover and let stand while oven heats. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 55-65 minutes.