Make-Ahead Creamy Potatoes
For the holidays, I usually serve the traditional foods with a new spin or two on family favorites. I put together these creamy potatoes the night before and simply bake the day of to save precious holiday time. —Wendy Ball, Battle Creek, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 55 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 6 large)
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk or half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place whole potatoes in a large stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in milk, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Peel and cube potatoes when cool enough to handle. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a large bowl; stir in cheddar cheese, sour cream, mushroom mixture, onion and remaining butter. Transfer potato mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove potatoes from refrigerator; uncover and let stand while oven heats. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 55-65 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 283 calories, 16g fat (11g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Dreamy Creamy Potatoes in Taste of Home November 2015