- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted, adding additional milk to reach desired consistency.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Macaroni and Cheese
"Best mac and cheese! Used mozzarella cheese and chedder cheese. Also put cheese on top and bread crumbs for added crunch. Thanks TOH!!"
"This was best mac and cheese I have ever had. I modified slightly by using extra sharp cheddar , Gouda , Swiss , muenster and Colby."
"This was amazing! I chose different shredded cheeses mixed mild cheddar, colby and sharp cheddar. I added about 2 TBS evaporated milk and used 1 1/2 2% milk and it was very creamy. Like the recipe states, "USE AS MUCH MILK AS NEEDED TO CREATE DESIRED RESULT" I will definitely be making this one again!"
"Sauce is very thick. Looking for something more creamy"
"Fantastic! I left out the sour cream, added 8 oz Colby Jack, and 1 extra cup of milk."
"I love this recipe! I've made this recipe several times and have gotten many compliments. I agree with other reviews in that the sauce is thick, but it's very delicious. This is definitely a keeper :D"
"Really enjoyed added gouda cheese. Made this again today but for some reason it came out griddy. Dont know what i did wrong but it didnt do it before and i have made it many times. So i still give it a five."
"I should have read the reviews with this one. The sauce is too thick and so the end product isn't as creamy as I'd like. It was too dry. For the effort this took, it wasn't worth it."
"Very good with a little tweaking. I added a 1/2 cup of half and half to the cheese sauce and that gave it just the right consistency. I gently stirred the cheddar into the finished sauce off heat until melted, instead of tossing it with the pasta, and that worked out fine. I found it was easier to mix the sauce and the pasta together in a large bowl before transferring to baking dish (11x13 pan worked fine). I also sprinkled a liberal helping of shredded cheddar cheese over the top prior to baking."