Creamed Ham on Toast
Meet the Cook: Whether for breakfast or brunch - or lunch or supper - this recipe has been popular in our family for years. It is one that my grandmother passed down. Home for my husband, me and our children, 5 and 2, is a country town. -Robin Morton, Ripley, Mississippi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- 5 slices process American cheese, quartered
- 3 slices toast, cut into triangles
- In a skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and celery in butter for 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until smooth and bubbly. Add the milk, pepper and celery seed; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add egg and cheese; stir until cheese melts. Serve over toast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 451 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 1320mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Creamed Ham on Toast in Country Woman March/April 1997