Creamed Salmon On Toast
"When our children were small and we were busy outside, we'd come in to enjoy this quick meal," writes Elsie Bloom, Courtenay, British Columbia. "We still make it when we don't feel like fussing in the kitchen."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, skin and bones removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices bread, toasted
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; add onions. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in salmon, salt if desired and pepper. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Serve over toast.
Originally published as Creamed Salmon On Toast in Quick Cooking May/June 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.