Creamed Chicken in Patty Shells
My mom's tasty creamed chicken makes a wonderful main dish, and when you add extra vegetables, it becomes an entire meal. The recipe might look long, but it's well worth the effort. -Mared Metzger Beling, Eagle River, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen puff pastry shells
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup small fresh broccoli florets
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large kettle, bring the chicken, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; cool. Remove meat from bones; cut into cubes and set aside. Discard skin and bones. Drain broth and skim fat; set aside 1 cup broth (refrigerate remaining broth for another use).
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and broccoli in butter until tender; sprinkle with flour. Gradually stir in milk and reserved broth until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pimientos, paprika, reserved chicken and remaining salt and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through. Spoon into pastry shells.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 653 calories, 41g fat (15g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Creamed Chicken in Patty Shells in Taste of Home April/May 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.