Creamed Chicken in a Basket
Chunks of tender chicken in a creamy sauce are spooned into puff pastry shells in this delicious dish, which has long been one of our family's favorites. I served it to my husband and our five children for years...and it is now a "must" for our Easter brunch. —Sue Bolsinger, Anchorage, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 4 pounds)
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 8 to 10 frozen puff pastry shells
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushroom, sliced
- 1 can (5 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Place the chicken, onion, celery, water, 1 teaspoon salt and peppercorns in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 170°. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; set aside until cool enough to handle. Bake pastry shells according to package directions.
- Remove chicken from bones; cut into cubes and set aside. Discard skin and bones. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and peppercorns. Set aside 2 cups broth (save remaining broth for another use).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add reserved broth, nutmeg, pepper and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the mushrooms, water chestnuts, pimientos, lemon juice and chicken. Return to the heat. Gradually stir in cream and heat through (do not boil). Spoon into pastry shells.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 471 calories, 38g fat (19g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 701mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Creamed Chicken in a Basket in Taste of Home April/May 2001