Chicken Salad in Baskets
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons diced peeled apple
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 20 slices bread
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the mayonnaise, salt and pepper; add to chicken mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each slice of bread with a 3-in. round cookie cutter; brush both sides with butter. Press into ungreased mini muffin cups. Bake 11-13 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Cool 3 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Spoon 1 tablespoonful chicken salad into each bread basket. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 140 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 7, 2012
I use pie pastry dough instead of bread, and it's just as good !
Dec 31, 2011
I made this for Christmas and New Years Eve. They are delicious. Variations couldbe: egg salad, tuna salad, taco meat w/cheese...ideas are endless. Thanks, Lynn
Dec 30, 2011
I made these for a church potluck and there wasn't any left. The toast cup was very good, crispy and crunchy. I used my own chicken salad recipe with chopped onion, celery, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. They were a big hit and I will definitely make these again. Might even make them filled with ham salad sometime.
Dec 16, 2011
It was good, but the chicken salad was a bit bland and people at the party we took it to agreed. It needs either chopped cranberries for a tangy addition, or finely chopped green olives. I would make again with one of those changes.
Dec 10, 2011
I also used whole wheat bread. And to save time, I used canned chicken. Regular sized muffin pans work just fine if you don't have mini ones. I used a small glass bottle to push them in and make a cavity. I love the sweet taste of apples so I used half of a small apple. If you don't have a round cookie cutter, a canning jar lid works. You just have to press harder. They turned out great!
Dec 6, 2011
I'm not ready to rate the recipe but I can also see it in the little phylo cups. Sounds good!!
Dec 5, 2011
I used whole wheat bread. They turned out GREAT!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.