Crawfish Corn Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 to 2 medium jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup crawfish tail meat, cooked
- In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in jalapenos; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk and remaining oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended. Stir in the corn, cheese, green onions, crawfish and reserved jalapeno mixture. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 232 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Oct 12, 2011
Very good. Have made this over the years, but lost recipe. Thanks
Sep 16, 2011
This is very good. I have also had crawfsh stuffing. Does anyone have a recipe for this?
Jul 28, 2010
Very good! This bread is a real conversation-maker. The first time people taste it, they want to know the "secret" flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.