Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups butter, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1-1/2 pounds frozen cooked crawfish tails, thawed or cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, red pepper, green onions and celery in butter for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the cheese, cream, jalapeno and salt; cook and stir for 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, cook fettuccine according to package directions; drain. Stir fettuccine and crawfish into the vegetable mixture. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Jun 23, 2016
I've made this dish several times over the years and it is very tasty. I use shrimp instead of crawfish. I also use Pepper Jack cheese instead of Velveeta (because I have an allergy to Annatto, the dye used in Velveeta). An excellent casserole!
Jul 3, 2015
Good, but needed some acid to cut the creaminess.
Dec 19, 2013
This is so good! Crawfish can get expensive so sometimes i use shrimp or i combine crawfish and shrimp. I've made this recipe several times and the only thing i change is i only use about 1 cup of butter.
Apr 15, 2013
I live in Louisiana, and this recipe is really a "taste of home".
Feb 10, 2013
We made this for a bikers pot luck and I received great reviews. Crawfish were hard to find so we used langoustine lobster tails and it was great!
Jun 25, 2012
Awesome recipe!Tastes like a dish you would get at a fine cajun restaurant! I use 2lbs. crawfish instead of 1 1/2lbs.
Feb 17, 2012
This recipe was delicious! I thought the butter was alot but the sauce ended up so thick and creamy and not overly cheesy that we though it could be served with crackers as a dip!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.