- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to slow cooker. In a small bowl, toss chicken with cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir into bean mixture. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and remaining salt. Stir in milk and remaining oil. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chicken mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCorn Bread-Topped Chicken Chili
"The family loved it"
"Yumo! Followed recipe except I baked in oven. Topped it with cheese, sour cream and jalepeno."
"I have not tried it yet, but looks awsome, I never adjust a recipe till I make it once."