Contest-Winning New England Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 center-cut bacon strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the cooked bacon; sprinkle over each serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 260 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Jun 13, 2018
Great authentic tasting chowder! I used one cup of chicken stock and omitted the bouillon and water. I also found that it needed a little more liquid to thin out so I added more stock until I got the consistency I desired. It was delicious. Will make again.
Jun 6, 2018
didn’t use thyme in mine
May 18, 2018
I’m sorry, but you lost me at chicken bouillon granules....Really? You won a contest?
Apr 26, 2018
The family loved the recipe, I doctored it up a little bit by adding 2 bottles of clam juice, to go along with the 2 small cans of clams, also a 1/2 cup of white wine, a teaspoon, of Worcestershire sauce, 2 Bay Leaves, a dash of Tabasco, 1/4 cup of chopped carrots . It was outstanding the best I've ever made,Thanks so much!
Apr 8, 2018
I have tried many clam chowder recipes over the years. This one is by far the best and most closely resembles New England or San Francisco restaurant style. I did double the amount of flour to make a little thicker.
Mar 31, 2018
Delicious!!! Very easy to follow
Mar 21, 2018
I made a shrimp stock since I did not have clam juice ,used fresh clams out of the shell given to us from a friend in Maine ,added shrimp to the chowder and I used full fat half and half other than that I followed the recipe . This chowder turned out completely amazing .
Mar 11, 2018
This is delicious. BUT it should NOT be called New England chowder. No garlic, thyme, celery.
Feb 25, 2018
I have been using this recipe for about 2 years and my whole family loves it.
Feb 25, 2018
My family loves this recipe! I substituted basil from my garden for the thyme.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.