Contest-Winning Hazelnut Toffee
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
Makesabout 1-3/4 pounds
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 cups (12 ounces each) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; coat the foil with cooking spray and set aside. Butter the sides of a large heavy saucepan with 2 teaspoons butter. Cube remaining butter; place in pan. Add the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook and stir until mixture turns golden brown and a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in hazelnuts. Pour into prepared pan without scraping; spread evenly. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread evenly over toffee. Sprinkle with hazelnuts, pressing down gently. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Break into bite-sized pieces. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 197 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Sep 29, 2016
Dec 17, 2014
I've make this toffee every Christmas. It's by far the most requested candy I make!
Nov 26, 2012
I did not grease my pan first, so this came out hard as a rock. My friend gave me a very similar recipe (without the hazelnuts and corn syrup), so I have no doubt this is very good. Tomorrow, when I go to the store and buy more butter, I'm going to try this again. I could not find my friend's recipe, so this was a great alternative. Again, my fault for not greasing the pan and I'm sure it is a great recipe. Thank you! I plan on making it for Christmas gifts.
Dec 22, 2007
recipe is typed incorrectly it should read as:In a microwave-safe bowl, melt thechocolate chips. Spread evenly over toffee. Sprinkle with hazelnuts, pressing down gently. Let stand for 1 hour. Break into bite-sized pieces. Store in the refrigerator.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.