Toffee Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 chocolate English toffee candy bars (1.4 ounces each), chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a mixing bowl, blend butter, sugars and flour; set aside 1/2 cup. To the remaining butter mixture, add buttermilk, egg, baking soda and vanilla; mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Combine chopped candy and pecans with the reserved butter mixture; sprinkle over coffee cake. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 247 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 1, 2013
I prepared this recipe for the first time and it was a real hit at our coffee break on 9/29/13! Again, I've tweaked this recipe to fit my tastes! What I did was use 3/4 cup EACH of white and brown sugar! I've tweaked the amount of the sugars in other TOH recipes as well so that I can use EQUAL amounts of sugar and conserve on my supply of brown sugar! I also used 3/4 cup HEATH BITS instead of the English toffee candy bars! I set aside 1 cup of crumb mixture instead of 1/2 cup so that there would be more substantial amount of topping for cake. I also baked cake for 40 to 45 minutes! There have been times which I've had to do this to insure a fully baked cake! I'd used another TOH recipe quite some time back and had baked it exactly as the recipe stated and it was underdone and gooey! That taught me to adjust the baking time accordingly! This way I wouldn't be faced with an underdone gooey, gloppy cake! I also added 1 tsp. salt along with the balance of the butter mixture and soured a cup of 2% reduced-fat milk with 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar as a substitute for buttermilk. The recipe came out great! Thank you, Edie Despain, for this delicious cake recipe!
Dec 3, 2012
I had two problems with this recipe. First, it didn't look good with the huge craters sunk into it. Second, the taste was pretty average, almost boring. I used 4.2 oz of heath toffee pieces.
Mar 8, 2012
I found this recipe in the Taste of Home magazine several years ago and have been making this ever since. My family is crazy of this cake. I use 6 bars instead of 3 but it's wonderful either way. I also cook it for 26 min instead of 30 because my oven runs a bit hot. I've had many people ask me for this recipe. Goes over great at our church for morning coffee and breakfast.