Chocolate Toffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8 ounces) milk chocolate English toffee bits
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Combine the toffee bits, chips and brown sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (mixture will appear curdled). Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour a third of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with a third of the toffee mixture. Repeat layers twice. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely. For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add evaporated milk and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 665 calories, 32g fat (18g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 417mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Aug 20, 2017
I was really looking forward to trying this cake as i love chocolate and toffee.This cake was just ok in taste and pretty dry. I think some added walnuts would have added flavor. It was not worth the time and effort and I will not be making this again. The glaze however was pretty good and simple to make. I will use the glaze for other cakes.
Jul 2, 2017
The cake was moist and delicious!! It didn't stay long around our house! The icing was also good!!
Feb 21, 2015
The cake was delicious--very rich and not dry at all. But the glaze wasn't good. I followed directions exactly (and they are not very complicated!) but it was grainy and thin, so I didn't use it. The cake is so sweet that I really didn't miss it. However, if you want a glaze, I would highly recommend you search this website for the one that goes on Taste of Home's "Cranberry cookies with Browned Butter glaze"--it is easy and fantastic.
Jan 19, 2012
This cake was very yummy. I didn't have problems being too dry, in fact I thought it was a little on the moist side. It's also very rich!!! I left the frosting optional when I served it and it tasted great even without the frosting.
Dec 20, 2010
Cake was dry and we didn't care for the taste. I thought the glaze would help it out, but the evaporated milk gave it a strange taste. It would have been much better with half & half or even plain milk. Also, the chocolate chips added too heavy of a chocolate taste. I think it would have been tastier with just the chocolate toffee bits. It was a total waste of ingredients.
Sep 25, 2010
I made this cake for my family, and they LOVED it! I would make this cake again for sure. I'm not sure why someone would say that it was too dry. They must have over cooked it.
Sep 23, 2010
I've made this cake several times and was never dry. My family loves it.
Jun 26, 2010
the was very dry,i will not make again,
Mar 4, 2010
This cake was not good and should not have been a prize winner. Not very moist and a waste of ingredients. The icing was gross. I bake all the time and was very disappointed in this recipe. Don't waste your time. Cake is going in the trash.
Feb 25, 2010
It was definately a hit at our Christmas Eve family get-together. I'm sure it will be requested again next Christmas. I didnt have an issue with it being dry, maybe addumler overcooked it?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.